SrI: SrImathE satakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama:
emperumAnAr’s thirunakshathra mahOthsavam is celebrated for 11 days, in a grand manner in SrIperumbUthUr, his birth place. Everyday, emperumAnAr performs mangaLASAsanam to perumAL, thAyAr and AzhwArs/AchAryas, enjoys puRappAdu twice – once in morning and once in evening, enjoys thirumanjanam during noon time and hears 4000 dhivya prabandham and vEdha pArAyaNam to his heart’s content. He also enjoys 9 days of vidAyARRi (relaxation) after the completion of uthsavam. Usually, the day before the uthsavam commences, he would come forward to the mansam (swing) which is placed in front of the inner sanctum and will be his resting place for the whole 20 days.
Every day schedule:
- Early Morning
- viSvarUpam (suprabAtha sEvai)
- emperumAnAr leaves his AsthAnam
- emperumAnAr performs mangaLASAsanam to perumAL, thAyAr etc.
- emperumAnAr’s oyyAra nadai (various steps) in front of SrI rAmar sannidhi
- emperumAnAr arrives at vAhana maNdapam
- puRappAdu around the town with maNdagappadi (stop-over) at various spots, with dhivya prabandham and vEdha pArAyaNam gOshti, completion with iyal sARRu (collection of pAsurams compiled by mAmunigaL)
- emperumAnAr returns to vAhana maNdapam
- emperumAnAr visits his avathAra maNdapam (at the end of vAhana maNdapam) – this is where 74 simhAsanAdhipathis (established by emperumAnAr) are present.
- emperumAnAr arrives at kaNNAdi aRai (mirror room)
- thirumanjanam for emperumAnAr
- thirumaN kAppu (Urdhva puNdram) anushtAnam with thiruppAvai gOshti followed by dhiyva prabandham sEvAkAlam and sARRumuRai
- emperumAnAr leaves mirror room
- paththi ulA (casual procession towards 4-pillared maNdapam) with Unjal (jhUlA/swing) dharSan in-between
- nithya vibhUthi, leelA vibhUthi vaibhavam in 4 pillared maNdapam – A unique event where purANa SlOkams relating to SrIman nArAyaNan’s supremacy are recited facing north direction (for SrInivAsa – thiruvEnkatamudaiyAn) and south direction (for periya perumAL – SrIranganAtha). This is to emphasise how both these emperumAn’s crowned SrI rAmAnujar as udaiyavar (owner of nithya vibhUthi and leelA vibhUthi).
- emperumAnAr arrives at vAhana maNdapam, with steps for magudi music
- puRappAdu around the town with maNdagappadi (stop-over) at various spots, with dhivya prabandham and vEdha pArAyaNam gOshti
- emperumAnAr returns to vAhana maNdapam
- emperumAnAr arrives at kaNNAdia aRai
- iyal sARRu
- thiruvAimozhi gOshti and sARRumuRai
- EkAntha sEvai – emperumAnAr returns to mansam with praises on him and performing mangaLASAsanam to perumAL, AzhwArs/AchAryas
There are some very special events during the uthsavam.
- On the sixth day, emperumAnAr adorns white clothes and enjoys procession on a horse, and kUrththAzhwAn accompanies him in saffron robes. While they enjoy thirumanjanam together in the afternoon, SrImath paramahamsa ithyAdhi SrIperumbUthUr yathirAja jIyar swamy recites kUrESa vijayam which establishes supremacy of vishNu. This incident reminds us of emperumAnAr’s travel to thirunArAyaNapuram.
- On the eighth day morning, emperumAnAr remains seated in SEsha vAhanam and SrImath paramahamsa ithyAdhi SrIperumbUthUr yathirAja jIyar swamy recites thirumanthrAtham (few sections from yAdhruchchikappadi etc).
- On the ninth day morning, emperumAnAr enjoys rathOthsavam and in the night, he enjoys pushpa pallakku.
- On the final day, around noon time, after puRappAdu, in his birth place, he will be given sangup pAl (milk in conch) enacting his birth. Later in the night, puRappAdu will commence and emperumAnAr will visit every nook and corner of the town.
- On the eleventh day, early morning, emperumAnAr will return to vAhana maNdapam. He will enjoy thiruvAimozhi gOshti. dhivya dhESa emperumAn’s garlands and shawls will be presented to him. Finally, the grand sARRumuRai. After that, emperumAnAr will go on procession around the temple and will enter the temple, with gandhappodi vasantham (everyone throwing fragrant powder on him). Later in the afternoon, he will arrive at ANdAL sannidhi and relax there for few hours while everyone will get an opportunity to fan him. Subsequently emperumAnAr will visit vasthram store and bless the place.
- From 12th day to 15th day, theppOthsavam will be celebrated (provided there is water in the temple tank).
- First day – perumAL, ubhaya nAchchiyArs and emperumAnAr
- Second day – perumAL, ubhaya nAchchiyArs, emperumAnAr, mAmunigaL (thirumanjanam at mAmunigaL sannidhi)
- Third day – perumAL, ubhaya nAchchiyArs and emperumAnAr
- Fourth day – SrI rAma parivAr, ANdAL and emperumAnAr (thirumanjanam at yathirAja jIyar mutt)
- From 12th day to 20th day, vidAyARRi (relaxation) will be celebrated.
In this manner, emperumAnAr’s uthsavam is celebrated in a grand manner in SrIperumbUthUr. Everyone should come and participate in emperumAnAr’s uthsavam here and be blessed.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan